Larkin Turner married Mary Ann Hickey 16 January 1789 in Henry County, Virginia. She was born 4 March 1771 in Pittsylvania County, the daughter of John and Mary Hickey. In the "History of Pittsylvania County, Virginia", by Maud Carter Clement, page 44, it is stated that John Hickey made his home on Smith River in 1748 and opened a store. This was then in Lunenberg County, afterward Halifax, then Pittsylvania and now Henry County. Here he erected a fort, called Hickey's Fort. He operated a mill and maintained an inn for the accommodation of travelers. George Washington, on Oct. 11, 1756, on a tour of inspection of the frontier's forts notes an expense of 21 shillings, 3 pence at Hickey's Ordinary. In the January 1932 issue of "National Geographic" in the editorial "The Travels of George Washington," John Hickey is called a Merchant Prince. His caravans of covered wagons hauled goods in every direction. Many roads were named for him and are well-known highways today. His career was one of the early business romances of the Old Dominion. When John Hickey died in 1784, he willed plantation to his widow and one to each of his eleven children. The thousands of acres of creek bottoms which he owned have since been divided into four counties. John and Mary Hickey rendered material aid to the establishment of American Independence and both are recognized Revolutionary War Patriots. In 1804 Larkin and Mary Ann Hickey Turner were living in Franklin County, Virginia. However by 1805, the family had begun its migration west and we find Mary's brothers Michael and Joshua Hickey in Cumberland County, KY. Larkin Turner bought a tract of land containing 100 acres in Cumberland County for which he paid $300, on Sept 7, 1809. He is listed in the 1810 Census with his wife, 2 sons, and 3 daughters.
The above was extracted from a family history of Larkin and Mary Ann Hickey Turner who had migrated to Cumberland County, Kentucky. It is found in the book "Cumberland County Yesterday and Today" which was published in 1992 by Curtis Media Corporation.